- Wal-Mart first opens in Bismarck (relocated in 2005)
- Pizza Factory closes for the first time. It re-opens for another stint from 1991-1992.
- Wachter becomes the first school in North Dakota to convert to the middle school format
- Simle Junior High begins construction of south wing
- Captain Meriwether’s Landing opens
- McDonal’s Rock N Roll Cafe opens, replacing its former location at 2207 E Main (November)
- Pizza Factory re-opens before closing for a final time. It originally replaced the local Happy Joe’s franchises from 1984-1990.
- Herbergers expands Kirkwood Mall location and closes Gateway location
- Gateway to Science Center opens at Gateway Mall
- Dan’s Supervalu relocates its south location (July). It is the company’s first to brand as “Dan’s Supermarket.”
- Rex TV & Appliance and TJMaxx open inside former Kirkwood (Dan’s) Supervalu building; TJMaxx later relocates to Pinehurst Square in 2006, Rex closes in 2008. The building now houses Gold’s Gym and Petco.
- The Walrus Restaurant opens at Arrowhead Plaza
- Belle Mehus Auditorium undergoes major renovation
- Pebble Creek and Hawktree golf courses open