- Camp Hancock begins housing the U.S. Weather Bureau, which it remains until 1940. The camp was among Bismarck’s earliest establishments, in 1872, as an infantry post and supply depot.
- Fire devastates Bismarck on August 8, destroying most of the city
- Saint Mary’s Church is completed (September)
- R.D. Hoskins founds “Hoskins Cigar, Stationery, and Flower Store” directly across from the railroad depot. Soon after, it relocated to the Tribune Block (now KFYR-TV) at the corner of 4th Street and Broadway Avenue, where it remained for decades and its successor – KFYR-TV – still remains.