- Pier 1 Imports announces closure of its Bismarck store. The retailer opened its Bismarck store in October 1992. Previously, in 1976, a Pier 1 “Associate Store” operated at 112 N 5th Street between roughly 1976-1978.
- Demolition of the former Kelly Inn commences. It closed in February 2019.
- Kmart closes in February. The store opened in 1971.
- Kirkwood Mall announces plans to repurpose about 40,000 square feet of the former Herberger’s space into three restaurants: Chick-fil-A, Five Guys, and Blaze Pizza. Herberger’s – an original anchor – closed in 2018.
- Gordmans announces closure amidst nationwide liquidation. Gordman’s was an original anchor at Hay Creek Shops in 2015.
- AMC shutters its movie theater at Gateway Mall. Midcontinent Theaters established the theater in 1985. It was originally 3 screens, expanding to 8 screens in 1994 – then the city’s largest.
- The historic Patterson Hotel building undergoes major renovation, estimated to cost more than $7 million.
- Cash Wise completes renovations to its south Bismarck store.