Fleck House Hotel
The Fleck House Hotel was a local hotel that operated at the corner of Thayer Avenue and 2nd Street. It was the city’s first hotel to feature a swimming pool, outdoors (Holiday Inn was first to include an indoor pool, in 1966).
The hotel was built in 1961 by Marcus Fleck, who owned it until selling to Robert and Marlys Fleck in 1968.
Fleck previously established a Fleck House Motel in Moorhead, Minnesota and, in, 1958, founded Fleck House Supper Club, which later became Gourmet House. He also established and operated the Skyline Motel in north Bismarck (opened in 1956 at 1806 N 12th – immediately north of the former Kelly Inn), and the Elite Motel and MF Motel in Mandan.
Enderlin residents Stanley and Alice Feland bought the hotel in 1973.
Ownership later passes down to Bernie Feland, who is a partner in opening Bismarck’s Comfort Inn in 1983. In 1994, Bernie is made a Best Western “governor” in overseeing all the group’s hotels in North Dakota.
The Feland family maintained ownership until about 1994-1995.
The hotel dropped affiliation with Best Western in 1999, and became a Budget Inn Express franchise in 2000.
For much of its existence, it was part of the Best Western hotel group.
Fleck House was not affiliated with similarly named Fleck’s Furniture & Appliance or Fleck Motors.