- MAC’S Hardware RemodelsPosted 14 hours ago
- Sickies Garage Replacing Hooter’sPosted 2 days ago
- City Officials Say Autumnfest Parade Is OnPosted 2 days ago
- Arby’s, Dickey’s Barbeque Pit, and Little Caesars Pizza Coming To MandanPosted 3 days ago
- Bismarck Apple DashSource: KX News Local | 09-15
- Papa’s Pumpkin Patch Packed for Opening DaySource: KX News Local | 09-15
- Mandan Mobile Home Destroyed by FireSource: KX News Local | 09-15
- Bismarck Man Hit and Killed in FloridaSource: KX News Local | 09-15
- U.S. Paralympic Athletes Come to BismarckSource: KX News Local | 09-15
- Bismarck Community Donates to Toys for TotsSource: KFYR-TV | 09-14
- Papa’s Pumpkin Patch Opens for the SeasonSource: KFYR-TV | 09-14
- 11th Annual DaySun’s Day of Giving in MinotSource: KFYR-TV | 09-14
- Bismarck Public Schools Hosts Apple DashSource: KFYR-TV | 09-14
- Westhope Community Dedicates Christmas Box AngelSource: KFYR-TV | 09-14
Dan’s Supermarket / Supervalu
Dan’s Supermarket is the area’s dominant grocer, with four locations in Bismarck-Mandan; and two in Dickinson. Dan’s has its roots back to 1949, when Roy Rockstad & Eugene “Bus” Leary purchased the local Piggly Wiggly and converted it to Bismarck Supervalu, the precursor to Dan’s Supervalu, which eventually became Dan’s Supermarket.
Bismarck’s Piggly Wiggly had been opened in 1934 and was purchased by W.W. Oliver in 1939. Supervalu purchased the Bismarck Piggly Wiggly in 1949, in addition to locations in Dickinson and Mandan, and then resold it to Rockstad and Leary. The nearby Mandan location was sold to Emily Moos and William Joersz, and also retained the Supervalu name (Bill’s Supervalu).
Rockstad and Leary had been coworkers at National Tea Store, where Rockstad was market manager and Leary the store’s general manager. Prior to purchasing Bismarck’s Piggly Wiggly, Leary had operated his own grocery store, Leary Grocery, for 3 months, upon selling the store.
Rockstad and Leary opened a second location at Arrowhead Shopping Plaza in 1953. The new location would be called “Dan’s” Supervalu. The original Dan’s location still remains housed inside Arrowhead Plaza, and is the oldest remaining grocery store in Bismarck. The south Dan’s location opened in 1970 (relocated in 1995), next to Kirkwood Plaza, followed by their north location in 1975 (relocated in 2003). Its Mandan location opened in about 1997.
Interestingly, Dan’s is not named after a real person. It was created as a marketing gimmick to coincide with the “Dan the Savings Man” campaign.
In 1980, Dan’s purchased an existing grocery store in Dickinson and built a second Dickinson location in 1982. Those locations were sold in 2013.
2013 Expansion and Sale
2013 saw three major developments for Dan’s. In April, the company announced expansion plans to anchor a new mixed-use development called Sunrise Town Centre in northeast Bismarck. In November, Dan’s sold its two Dickinson stores to SpartanNash Company. Then, in December, Dan’s purchased the Bismarck Central Market store. The purchase excluded Central Market’s Mandan location, which shuttered soon after.
|Arrowhead Plaza||1953 (November)|
|South Bismarck (Kirkwood)||1970 (Replaced in 1995 – now Gold’s Gym)|
|North Bismarck (Gateway)||1975 (Replaced in 2003 – now Hobby Lobby)|
|South Washington||1995 (June); Remodeled 2011|
|State Street||2003 (March)|
|Northwest Bismarck (Central Market)||2013|
|Northeast Bismarck||2014 (ant.)|