- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt OpeningPosted 5 days ago
- Mandan’s Thrifty White Drug RelocatingPosted 2 weeks ago
- $3.5 Million Getting Invested in Bismarck ParksPosted 2 weeks ago
- Chris Zinovitch Joins Dakota Stage As Artistic DirectorPosted 2 weeks ago
- What’s Trending 03/07/14Source: KFYR-TV | 03-07
- Around Town 3-7Source: KX News Local | 03-07
- Zoo Prepares For Opening DaySource: KFYR-TV | 03-07
- Maixner completes mandatory layovers; listed in 10th placeSource: Bismarck Tribune Local | 03-07
- Dutton Case Reopened to Amend a ChargeSource: KX News Local | 03-07
- Don’t Buy It Until We Try It: StufzSource: KFYR-TV | 03-07
- US rig count up 23 to 1,792Source: KX News State | 03-07
- Load restrictions to be in place soonSource: Bismarck Tribune Local | 03-07
Dan’s Supermarket / Supervalu
Dan’s Supermarket is the area’s dominant grocer, with four locations in Bismarck-Mandan; and two in Dickinson. Dan’s has its roots back to 1949, when Roy Rockstad & Eugene “Bus” Leary purchased the local Piggly Wiggly and converted it to Bismarck Supervalu, the precursor to Dan’s Supervalu, which eventually became Dan’s Supermarket.
Bismarck’s Piggly Wiggly had been opened in 1934 and was purchased by W.W. Oliver in 1939. Supervalu purchased the Bismarck Piggly Wiggly in 1949, in addition to locations in Dickinson and Mandan, and then resold it to Rockstad and Leary. The nearby Mandan location was sold to Emily Moos and William Joersz, and also retained the Supervalu name (Bill’s Supervalu).
Rockstad and Leary had been coworkers at National Tea Store, where Rockstad was market manager and Leary the store’s general manager. Prior to purchasing Bismarck’s Piggly Wiggly, Leary had operated his own grocery store, Leary Grocery, for 3 months, upon selling the store.
Rockstad and Leary opened a second location at Arrowhead Shopping Plaza in 1953. The new location would be called “Dan’s” Supervalu. The original Dan’s location still remains housed inside Arrowhead Plaza, and is the oldest remaining grocery store in Bismarck. The south Dan’s location opened in 1970 (relocated in 1995), next to Kirkwood Plaza, followed by their north location in 1975 (relocated in 2003). Its Mandan location opened in about 1997.
Interestingly, Dan’s is not named after a real person. It was created as a marketing gimmick to coincide with the “Dan the Savings Man” campaign.
In 1980, Dan’s purchased an existing grocery store in Dickinson and built a second Dickinson location in 1982. Those locations were sold in 2013.
2013 Expansion and Sale
2013 saw three major developments for Dan’s. In April, the company announced expansion plans to anchor a new mixed-use development called Sunrise Town Centre in northeast Bismarck. In November, Dan’s sold its two Dickinson stores to SpartanNash Company. Then, in December, Dan’s purchased the Bismarck Central Market store. The purchase excluded Central Market’s Mandan location, which shuttered soon after.
|Arrowhead Plaza||1953 (November)|
|South Bismarck (Kirkwood)||1970 (Replaced in 1995 – now Gold’s Gym)|
|North Bismarck (Gateway)||1975 (Replaced in 2003 – now Hobby Lobby)|
|South Washington||1995 (June); Remodeled 2011|
|State Street||2003 (March)|
|Northwest Bismarck (Central Market)||2013|
|Northeast Bismarck||2014 (ant.)|