- Pacific Hotel opens (later named Grand Pacific Hotel)
- Northern Pacific completes construction of the bridge connecting Bismarck & Mandan, it opens on October 21
- Territorial capital of Dakota Territory is moved from Yankton to Bismarck.
- Dakota Block is completed, Bismarck’s second oldest remaining building (October)
- Saint Alexius Hospital opens, the first hospital in Dakota Territory
- Territorial prison is opened, now known as the North Dakota State Penitentiary
- Fire destroys the Bismarck Tribune building on the 200 block of Main Avenue The paper moves to the original Webb Building.
- Original Morton County Courthouse is completed. The brick building is destroyed by fire in 1941.
- Alexander McKenzie establishes the city’s first water system, pumping unfiltered river water through a system of pipes. It remained a privately-owned system until 1923, when residents passed a bond measure to acquire the water department and fund a filtration plant.
- A ten-day blizzard buries the region (January)
- First graduating class consists of two students
- Bismarck assumes role as capital of North Dakota upon officially entering statehood
2008-2009 Winter Season / BlizzardBismarck Wiki
Bismarck Event Center / Civic CenterBismarck Wiki
Sakakawea StatueBismarck Wiki
Liberty Memorial BridgeBismarck, Mandan Wiki
Bismarck State CollegeBismarck Wiki
Hi-Way MotelBismarck Wiki
Bismarck is Born (1872-1879)Bismarck Wiki