- Pacific Hotel opens (later named Grand Pacific Hotel)
- Northern Pacific completes construction of the bridge connecting Bismarck & Mandan, it opens on October 21
- Construction commences in June for the Bismarck National Bank building at a cost of $35,000. It will be the city’s largest private building upon completion.
- Territorial capital of Dakota Territory is moved from Yankton to Bismarck. Construction commences on a capitol building.
- Dakota Block is completed, Bismarck’s second oldest surviving building (October)
- Several other significant construction projects include the First National Bank building for $65,000, the territorial prison for $50,000, the North Ward School (high school) for $30,000, and the Merchants National bank for $27,000.
- Saint Alexius Hospital opens, the first hospital in Dakota Territory
- Territorial prison is opened, now known as the North Dakota State Penitentiary
- Fire destroys the Bismarck Tribune building on the 200 block of Main Avenue The paper moves to the original Webb Building.
- Original Morton County Courthouse is completed. The brick building is destroyed by fire in 1941.
- Alexander McKenzie establishes the city’s first water system, pumping unfiltered river water through a system of pipes. It remained a privately-owned system until 1923, when residents passed a bond measure to acquire the water department and fund a filtration plant.
- Citizens petition to change the name of Meigs Street to Broadway, which is accepted and adopted in March.
- A ten-day blizzard buries the region (January)
- First graduating class consists of two students
- Bismarck assumes role as capital of North Dakota upon officially entering statehood