JCPenney at Kirkwood Mall in Bismarck. JCPenney relocated to the mall from downtown in the 1980 expansion. The company first arrived in Bismarck upon purchasing local retail store McCracken in 1929, however did have a location in nearby Mandan since 1920. At one time, J.C. Penney had over thirty locations in North Dakota.
Kirkwood Mall drastically changed Bismarck’s retail landscape when Paul Wachter opened it in April 1971 with original anchors Woolworths, Montgomery Wards, and Herbergers. It underwent a major addition in 1980 with two new anchors, Target and JCPenney.
Old Federal Building & Post Office
Built in 1913 and expanded in 1937, this building served as the local facility...
Corner of 6th Street & Broadway...
Radisson Hotel and Parkade visible.
Bismarck Motor Hotel
Built in the 1950s and located on East Main Avenue, the original Bismarck Motor...
Gee Williquors opened at Sunrise Town Centre at the end of 2014. “Gee” was...
Opened in 2013 after the 2012 closure of Burger King, which had operated in...