Built in 1906 by Edward Patterson, the Soo Hotel remained in operation until the late 1970s. Patterson later named the it “Princess Hotel” as a spoof on the Prince Hotel, owned by his chief rival Edmond Hughes. Hotel was again renamed Patterson Annex.
When it was originally built, it was the last building on the block. The Patterson Hotel, completed in 1910, was built flush against the building. A walkway was opened between the two hotels so patrons of the Soo Hotel could benefit from the amenities of the Patterson. For a short time, it was the tallest building in Bismarck.
Main Avenue Near 1st Street
First building on left is Kirkwood Bank, on the original site of Corwin Churchill...
Amish Country Furnishing/Main Avenue...
Building in foreground was constructed in 1913* to house City National Bank. F.W. Woolworth...
Scotty’s Drive-in: Show-N-Shine
Show-N-Shine classic car show outside Scotty’s Drive-in. Once a regional chain, Scotty’s Drive-in has...
This building initially housed Kirkwood Hardware Hank, which later became Kirkwood Ace Hardware until...
GALLERYCentral Market (now Dan's Supermarket)
Located on Turnpike Avenue in northwestern Bismarck. Built in 1988 as an Econofoods, which...
Standard Oil Service Station, Former
Located on Memorial Highway. Recently, the building housed a soup kitchen.