- Mandan’s Strip Receiving New Traffic LightPosted 4 days ago
- Mattress Firm Coming to Pinehurst SquarePosted 4 days ago
- Judge Denies Bond Reduction Request For Mandan Murder SuspectPosted 4 days ago
- Capitol Cafe ReopensPosted 5 days ago
- USS North Dakota Commissioned
- Visitors Show Up in Droves for Dakota Zoo’s ‘Zoo Boo’
- UTTC Selects New President
- Mandan Fire Department Responds to House Fire
- Montana approves license for bobcat fur farm
- McDonald named new president at Bismarck college
- North Dakota teen displays early political mind
- Bismarck man sentenced to 1 year for firing gun
- Firefighters battling Barney grain elevator blaze
- Tax error must be repaid to state
Jacobs Trading Company / World’s Greatest Deals (Retail Store)
Jacobs Trading Company is a company specializing in the sale and distribution of close-out and clearance merchandise, based in Plymouth, Minnesota.
For a short time the company operated a small chain of eight retail stores under both the Jacobs name and under the marquee World’s Greatest Deals, including a store at Gateway Mall (opened around 1995) in Bismarck and a store in Grand Forks.
The company’s retail operations were sold to Petters Group Worldwide in 1997, who had originally vowed to continue their operation; however, after failing to make payments for their purchase, the stores were ultimately shut down.
It is interesting to note that Tom Petters, whose company had purchased the retail operations from Jacobs Trading, was recently convicted of multiple felony counts as part of a $3.65 Billion Ponzi scheme. Over the years, Petters Group had acquired multiple companies including Sun Country Airlines, Polaroid, and Fingerhut.
Founded in the 1960s, Jacobs Trading Company continues to operate as a wholesaler and distributor.