- Bismarck Police Investigate Unattended DeathPosted 9 hours ago
- Kirkwood Bank & Trust RobbedPosted 10 hours ago
- Bismarck Police Seek Help Identifying Short-Change ScammerPosted 2 days ago
- Horizon Market Nearly CompletePosted 3 days ago
- News Minute: Here is the latest North Dakota news from The Associated Press
- This Hour: Latest North Dakota news, sports, business and entertainment
- Bismarck man sentenced on illegal weapons charges
- 4 groups in Dakotas get rural development grants
- ND awards schools, airports oil-impact grants
- Potential Ordinance Banning Use of BB Guns, Bows
- Bismarck High Schoolers Pack the Food Pantry
- Halloween Maze in New Salem Frightens and Entertains
- Department of Transportation Assesses Guard Rail Safety
- A Sneak Peak of The Heritage Center
Jacobs Trading Company / World’s Greatest Deals (Retail Store)
Jacobs Trading Company is a company specializing in the sale and distribution of close-out and clearance merchandise, based in Plymouth, Minnesota.
For a short time the company operated a small chain of eight retail stores under both the Jacobs name and under the marquee World’s Greatest Deals, including a store at Gateway Mall (opened around 1995) in Bismarck and a store in Grand Forks.
The company’s retail operations were sold to Petters Group Worldwide in 1997, who had originally vowed to continue their operation; however, after failing to make payments for their purchase, the stores were ultimately shut down.
It is interesting to note that Tom Petters, whose company had purchased the retail operations from Jacobs Trading, was recently convicted of multiple felony counts as part of a $3.65 Billion Ponzi scheme. Over the years, Petters Group had acquired multiple companies including Sun Country Airlines, Polaroid, and Fingerhut.
Founded in the 1960s, Jacobs Trading Company continues to operate as a wholesaler and distributor.