- Increased Funding for Minot International AirportSource: KFYR-TV | 08-01
- U.S. Senate Aims to improve Healthcare for VeteransSource: KFYR-TV | 08-01
- Mohall Family Displaced by FireSource: KFYR-TV | 08-01
- Pigs at State Fair Test Positive for FluSource: KFYR-TV | 08-01
- 3rd Annual Art and Wine WalkSource: KX News Local | 08-01
- Land Board Grants $8 Million to School ProjectsSource: KX News Local | 08-01
- Minot Officers Enforce Texting RulesSource: KFYR-TV | 08-01
- School Enrollment BeginsSource: KFYR-TV | 08-01
- Energy secretary to tour North Dakota sitesSource: Bismarck Tribune State | 08-01
- Family Focus: Magic City Daycare CenterSource: KFYR-TV | 07-31
Gold Seal Company
The Gold Seal Company was a Bismarck-based national distributor of various household products, most notably Mr. Bubble, Snowy Bleach, and Glass Floor Wax.
Gold Seal was founded in 1942 by local businessman Harold Schafer, who is also well known for his work involving the Medora Musical. Harold’s son, former North Dakota Governor and former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, Edward Schafer, later operated the company from 1978-1985.
Gold Seal’s first product was Gold Seal Floor Wax. Gold Seal netted a profit of $901.02 in its first year. Glass Wax was introduced in 1945, and went national three years later. Snowy Bleach boosted Gold Seal’s revenues during the 1950s, and the company’s most well known product, Mr. Bubble, beginning in 1961.
At its height, Gold Seal had annual revenues of $50 million, making it one of the largest and most successful private businesses ever based out of North Dakota.
Gold Seal Companies was sold to Airwick Industries in 1986. Most of its former products are still marketed to this day, including Mr. Bubble, which is distributed by Chaska, MN-based The Village Co.
The former Gold Seal corporate headquarters, located on Divide Avenue in Bismarck, now houses various offices. The building, still known as the Gold Seal Building, is easily recognizable due to its gold-tinted windows. Prior to this location, Gold Seal was headquartered in downtown Bismarck.