Soo Hotel / Princess Hotel / Patterson Annex
The Soo Hotel building is a historically signifant building in downtown Bismarck that was once the city’s tallest building.
Long-time local hotel operator Edward Patterson completed construction of the Soo Hotel in 1906. It opened on New Year’s Day, 1907, and remained in operation until the late 1970s.
The Soo Hotel was constructed on the former site of stores occupied by B.E. Jones and William O’Hara. When first announced, the building was to be three stories containing 65 rooms. Upon completion, however, the 4-story modern brick structure contained 93 rooms, each of which containing hot and cold running water.
When completed, it was the tallest building in Bismarck and remained as such until Patterson completed the adjacent McKenzie Hotel in 1910. A walkway was opened between the two hotels so patrons of the Soo Hotel could benefit from the added amenities of the McKenzie/Patterson Hotel.
In about 1927, Patterson renamed the hotel “Princess Hotel,” allegedly as a spoof on the Prince Hotel, which was owned by his chief rival Edmond Hughes. The hotel was again renamed Patterson Annex in 1931 after completing a major remodel.
The original “Soo Hotel” nameplate is still visible on the north side of the building. Today, the building houses apartments on the upper floors and retail on the main floor.