Hillside Park / Lion’s Park
Hillside Park is a long-time park located in northeastern Bismarck south of Boulevard Avenue and east of 16th Street directly across from Simle Middle School, which was originally named “Hillside Park Junior High.” Hillside was allegedly named for the Hillside Dairy Company. The park is also known as Lions Park and houses the Hillside Aquatic Center.
Hillside Park is home to a playground, skateboard park, picnic shelters, sand volleyball courts, tennis courts, Frisbee golf (“Frolf”), and the city’s largest outdoor swimming pool operation. During the winter, a hockey rink and adjacent ice skating rink are also present.
Saint Mary’s Cemetery is located just east of Hillside Park, whose association initially leased the land to the park district for 99 years at $1.
The local Lions clubs have been a long-time sponsor of the park, including a $1,000 donation in 1950 for the first playground equipment located there.
The park’s official dedication year has not been confirmed; however, references to it go back to at least 1928, when a windbreak grove of poplars was being planted and funding for a fence was under consideration. The Bismarck Park Board leased the land from the St. Mary’s Cemetery Association for 99 years at a cost of $1.
Plans for a swimming pool at the park were first unveiled in 1950. A 27-member finance committee was appointed in 1953 to raise funds for the anticipated $175,000 pool, which would be the park district’s second pool after the Elks.
Citizens overwhelmingly approved a 5-mill levy to finance its construction on April 6, 1954. Construction commenced in 1956. By this time, the cost estimation had increased to $250,000-$300,000 for the main pool, diving area, wading area, and 2-story bath house. The bath house was originally intended to include a dance floor for year-round use, but this never came to fruition.
A $60,000 waterslide was approved in 1984. It was demolished in 2008 due to old age.
The park began a major renovation project in 2009, as part of a district-wide $3.5 park improvement fund. In 2015, the swimming pool was replaced , along with new waterslide and an upgraaded at a cost of $4.5 million, while its locker and bath facility was also upgraded.