Menu
Share
×
× Close

Conlin’s Furniture

By | Last Modified: November 30, 2017
Conlin’s Furniture on Broadway Avenue

Conlin’s Furniture is a regional furniture chain located across the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Minnesota. It has maintained a Bismarck store since 1955. The company is headquartered in Billings, Montana; however, operates its primary distribution center and significant corporate operations from Bismarck.

The first store opened in Williston, North Dakota in 1937.

Local History

Conlin’s arrived in Bismarck upon purchasing Reff’s Furniture in 1955. The former Reff’s store was rebranded “Conlin’s” in 1961. Conlin’s later relocated to 201 E Main Avenue (now Zimmerman’s Clearance Center).

In 1982, Conlin’s purchased Self Service Furniture City and consolidated the two stores into the historic Webb Brothers building, which Furniture City had occupied since Sears vacated in 1979 upon moving to Gateway Mall.

Conlin’s remained in the Webb Brothers Building until it, too, relocated to Gateway Mall, in 2004.

Five years later, in 2009, Conlin’s again relocated, to its present-day location (as of 2017) on the corner of Broadway Avenue & 18th Street. Conlin’s formerly used the building as a warehouse, and it was originally home to Warehouse Market. In 2012, Conlin’s added additional space onto the northeast side of its current Broadway location.

The downtown building that housed Conlin’s Furniture for most of its tenure was built in 1900 to house Webb Brothers Department Store. When Webb Brothers closed in 1945, the building housed Sears before Furniture City and Conlin’s Furniture. Today, it houses Zimmerman’s Furniture.

Carpet World

Until 1984, Conlin’s also owned Carpet World with stores in Bismarck and Fargo.

The local Carpet World was located on The Strip before getting consolidated into the Conlin’s store at 201 E Main.

In 1980, Carpet World was spun off into its own store at 1105 E Main Avenue. The building was previously occupied by Self Service Furniture City, who relocated to the historic Webb Brothers building on the 300 block of Main Avenue following Sears’ departure in 1979 upon moving to Gateway Mall.

Conlin’s sold the store in 1984 to a group that included the store’s manager. Carpet World remained on Main Avenue until 1994.

East 40 & Country Kitchen

The Conlin family also once owned East 40 Steakhouse and were part owner of Bismarck’s Country Kitchen franchises.

External Link:

www.conlins.com

Pictures

One Comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*