Herberger’s opened its Bismarck store on March 23, 1971. It was the company’s first mall-based store and an original anchor at Kirkwood Mall. It was expanded several times over the years – the last of which in 1993 shortly before closing its Gateway Mall location. Herberger’s is expected to close in 2018 as the result of its parent’s nationwide liquidation. It was the mall’s longest anchor tenant.
Kirkwood Mall drastically changed Bismarck’s retail landscape when Paul Wachter opened it in April 1971 with original anchors Woolworths, Montgomery Wards, and Herbergers. It underwent a major addition in 1980 with two new anchors, Target and JCPenney.
Learn more about Kirkwood Mall:
Little Cottage Cafe
Tucked away next to Big Boy on East Main Avenue, Little Cottage Cafe is...
Kirkwood Mall Interior in 2009
Kirkwood Mall drastically changed Bismarck’s retail landscape when Paul Wachter opened it in April...
Shiloh Christian School
Shiloh Christian School is a private school located in northeastern Bismarck, North Dakota near...
Built in 1906 by Edward Patterson, the Soo Hotel remained in operation until the...
Bismarck Tribune Headquarters
The current home of the Bismarck Tribune, who’s first edition was in July 1873.
Skyline Crossings and Plaza Area
A major business area off of Highway 83/State Street in north Bismarck anchored by...