The Bismarck Civic Center was built in 1969 on land partially donated by the Wachter Family. It has seen several expansions since. With a seating capacity of just over 10,000, it is the third largest public venue in North Dakota, behind the Alerus Center (Grand Forks) and Fargo Dome. Bismarck-based Dakota Wizards basketball team is based here.
The Wachters were a prominent family that once owned most of the land south of the railroad in Bismarck. Their most lasting impact on the city was perhaps the development and construction of Kirkwood Mall in 1970 – which they continued to own until 1985. The Wachters have had two schools named in their honor.
One Source Lighting
The building originally housed the IH McCormick store (retail division of International Harvester Company).
Old Federal Building & Post Office
Built in 1913 and expanded in 1937, this building served as the local facility...
Interstate Office Building
This building, located on Interstate Avenue, recently became home to Hansen’s Menswear, amongst other...
Mason / Hughes Apartment Building
Built in 1922 by Edmond Hughes, and designed by his business partner Arthur Van...
Hillside Park Pool Renovation Scene
Construction scene for a $3.5-million renovation of the pool at Hillside Park, which is...