Dan’s Supermarket is a chain of grocery stores in Bismarck-Mandan that was founded in 1949. At its height, Dan’s owned and operated a total of 11 locations across North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. Today, the chain has consolidated operations to focus on its local roots.
Interestingly, Dan’s is not named for a real person. Instead, the name stems from an early marketing gimmick featuring a cartoon character named “Super Dan the Valu Man.”
After nearly seven decades of local ownership, SpartanNash acquired Dan’s Supermarket in 2015, ending a long-time relationship with distributor Supervalu.
The original Dan’s at Arrowhead Plaza closed in 2018 after more than sixty years.
Dedicated in 1989, Zonta Park is located on Memorial Highway in western Bismarck.
Strip mall located on South 3rd Street in Bismarck, North Dakota. Houses Connecting Point...
Street Scene: South 3rd Street Near...
Looking northeast at 3rd Street near Bowen Avenue.
Pinehurst Square is a “power mall” located in northwest Bismarck with several big box...
Main Avenue in Downtown Bismarck
Looking northeast from the corner of Main Avenue & 5th Street in Downtown Bismarck,...
Bismarck Public Works Building
Built in 2001 and located on 26th Street a few blocks north of Bismarck...