Menu
Share
×
× Close

Northern Pacific Train Shelter Dedication Ceremony At Camp Hancock

Locomotive Protective Shelter Dedication - Camp Hancock
Locomotive Protective Shelter Dedication – Camp Hancock
Locomotive Protective Shelter Dedication - Camp Hancock

Mark Halvorson of the North Dakota State Historical Society presents history of Northern Pacific Locomotive #2164.

A dedication ceremony was held today at Camp Hancock for the completion of a restoration project of the vintage 1909 Northern Pacific Locomotive, which included the erection of a protective shelter. The event included various entertainment and the historic Bread of Life Church and museum were also open to the public.

Camp Hancock is a State Historic Site that contains the oldest remaining building in Bismarck, built in 1872, along with an original 1909 Northern Pacific Railroad Locomotive and North Dakota’s oldest remaining church, the Bread of Life Church, completed in 1881. Camp Hancock was established on April 16, 1872 as Camp Greeley, the same year Bismarck was founded (as Edwinton). The site was originally used as a warehouse and supply depot for the Northern Pacific Railroad. It also served as an infantry post to protect the railroad and sprouting city. Click here to read more…