JCPenney at Kirkwood Mall in Bismarck. JCPenney relocated to the mall from downtown in the 1980 expansion. The company first arrived in Bismarck upon purchasing local retail store McCracken in 1929, however did have a location in nearby Mandan since 1920. At one time, J.C. Penney had over thirty locations in North Dakota.
Kirkwood Mall drastically changed Bismarck’s retail landscape when Paul Wachter opened it in April 1971 with original anchors Woolworths, Montgomery Wards, and Herbergers. It underwent a major addition in 1980 with two new anchors, Target and JCPenney.
Former North Dakota Governor’s...
Located on Avenue B, this was home to 21 North Dakota Governors from 1893-1960....
The Toasted Frog
Located in Downtown Bismarck, the building now housing The Toasted Frog restaurant once housed...
City/County Office Building
Since 1984, this building has housed administrative offices for both the City of Bismarck...
GALLERYFire South of Bismarck (4/13/2015)
Submit your own to email@example.com.
J&R Vacuum & Sewing Center
J&R Vacuum and Sewing located at corner of Main Avenue and 3rd Street in...
Kirkwood Mall Exterior
The main entrance into Kirkwood Mall, located on the center’s north side. Kirkwood Mall...