JCPenney at Kirkwood Mall in Bismarck. JCPenney relocated to the mall from downtown in the 1980 expansion. The company first arrived in Bismarck upon purchasing local retail store McCracken in 1929, however did have a location in nearby Mandan since 1920. At one time, J.C. Penney had over thirty locations in North Dakota.
Kirkwood Mall drastically changed Bismarck’s retail landscape when Paul Wachter opened it in April 1971 with original anchors Woolworths, Montgomery Wards, and Herbergers. It underwent a major addition in 1980 with two new anchors, Target and JCPenney.
Kelly Inn / Minerva’s Restaurant
Opened in 1970 as the Town House Hotel, this hotel is now part of...
Gateway Fashion Mall Exterior in 2009
Sears and Conlin’s pictured. Opened in September 1979 with original anchors Sears, White Mart,...
Sinclair Service Station (closed)
Located at 2308 E Main Avenue, this former Sinclair station closed in 2002 after 44...
CherryBerry Yogurt Bar
CherryBerry Yogurt Bar opened its Bismarck location in March 2012.
Main Avenue – July 2014 –...
Main Avenue in downtown Bismarck, July 2014. Featured are Humpback Sally’s, LUFT Bar, and...
GALLERYSaint Mary’s Central High School
Saint Mary’s Central High opened in February 1952. It is a private Catholic-based school...