St. Mary’s Central High School
St. Mary’s Central High School is a private Catholic high school serving grades 9-12. It is affiliated with Light of Christ Catholic Schools.
The school has roots to 1878, when four Benedictine sisters arrived from St. Joseph, Minnesota to establish a school connected to the local St. Mary’s parish. Its first graduating class was in 1922.
Its current facility – at 1025 N 2nd Street – was completed in 1951 and held a grand opening “carnival” February 20-23, 1952, which has since become an annual fundraising tradition. A replacement building is expected to be complete in 2019 near Washington Street and 57th Avenue, at which point the current facility will be designated as a middle school serving grades 6-8.
The school’s athletic teams are known as the “Saints.”