Hughes Electric was the region’s first electric utility company and remained the region’s main electric supplier until its purchase by United Power & Light. The company was founded in 1889 by Edmond A. Hughes and his father, and was instrumental in bringing electric power to the region. In 1925, Hughes Electric purchased Mandan Electric, and later expanded to serve 35 towns.
The company was purchased by United Power & Light in 1928, which later merged with Northern P&L based in Mobridge, South Dakota before being purchased by Montana-Dakota Utilities in 1945.
Hughes Junior High, now Hughes Education Center, was named for Edmond Hughes.