Bismarck Bowling Center
Bismarck Bowling Center was a local bowling alley that operated in Bismarck for decades.
Joe and Helen Zahn founded Bismarck Bowling Center in 1946 at 119 N 5th – now the site of the Parkade. In about 1956, the Center relocated to 305 N 23rd Street. At the time, it operated 12 lanes – the most in North Dakota – and was the only bowling alley in the state with an automatic pin setter. It expanded to 20 lanes in 1960.
The Zahns retired in 1978. The Center closed in 1983.
For years, it was the only bowling alley operating in Bismarck, until Capitol Lanes opened in 1980.
Its final location on 23rd Street was constructed in 1960; however, it’s unconfirmed whether Bismarck Bowling Center was its original tenant. After the Center closed, it was converted into Mini Storage and later used as a warehouse. More recently, it housed an emergency men’s shelter, until 2017 when Heartview Foundation acquired the facility.