This building housed an A&W Drive-in Restaurant for many years before closing in the early 1990s. Today it houses a veterinary clinic, however its appearance remains largely unchanged – even still bearing the carhop ports. Following its closure, there had been many attempts to return the A&W name to Bismarck before a permanent location opened at the corner of 3rd Street & Front Avenue in 1997, which is now home to Reza’s Pitch Restaurant. A second location was planned on State Street, and a building was even built, however it now houses a Wendy’s instead.
Prior to that, Kirkwood Mall had a small concession stand with the A&W name, and Cenex on Divide also once housed an A&W Restaurant. Evidence of the former A&W Restaurant at the Cenex is still clearly visible, as it has not been altered since its closure.
Related Blog: Memorial Highway’s Ghostly Reminders of What Once Was
Gateway Fashion Mall in November 2015
Featuring Jo-Anne Fabric, Shogunn, and Rock’N 50’s Cafe. Opened in September 1979 with original...
Built in 1906 by Edward Patterson, the Soo Hotel remained in operation until the...
Sears at Gateway Fashion Mall
Sears is the only remaining original anchor tenant still located at Gateway Mall. Opened...
Former Dakota Beer Brewery
In the 1960s, this building housed Dakota Beer’s brewery.
McDonald’s Restaurant on Main...
Recently renovated, this McDonald’s originally featured a 1950s rock n’ roll theme when it...