Fireworks explode near the North Dakota State Capitol on July 4, 2010. As usual, the windows of the capitol proudly support the holiday by spelling “4th”
Windows of the North Dakota Capitol are also known for sporting a Christmas Tree during the holiday season and the digits of the upcoming year for New Year’s.
The 19-story art deco North Dakota State Capitol was completed in 1934, replacing the original 1884-built capitol that was destroyed by fire on December 28, 1930. An additional wing housing the Judicial Branch was added in 1981.
Due to its distinction as the tallest building in North Dakota, the Capitol carries the nickname “Skyscraper on the prairie”.
Learn more about the North Dakota Capitol here:
Related Media Pages:
- Bismarck Pictures: North Dakota Capitol 4th of July Celebration
- Bismarck Pictures: North Dakota State Capitol
Green Mill Restaurant (closed)
This building originally housed Houlihan’s Restaurant, and then Green Mill until closing in 2007....
Petco Store – Former Rex TV
Building originally housed Dan’s Supervalu. The backside of the store, pictured here, housed Rex...
Hillside Aquatic Complex
Hillside Park is a park located in northeastern Bismarck south of Boulevard Avenue, just...
Gateway Fashion Mall Exterior
Opened in September 1979 with original anchors Sears, White Mart, and A.W. Lucas, Gateway...
Eckroth Music Plaza
Built in 2006, this building is anchored by long-time music retailer Eckroth Music. Other...