- State Heritage Center is completed
- Renovation is completed on the Liberty Memorial Building
- Pizza Factory replaces local Happy Joe’s franchises, the first of which opened in 1977. The restaurant operates until 1990 before re-opening for another stint from 1991-1992.
- Daytons replaces former Woolco/Woolworth space at Kirkwood Mall
- Former Q&R Clinic is converted to house joined City & Burleigh County offices
- Jade Garden replaces Mr. Steak at 431 S 3rd Street
- Rock’N 50’s Cafe opens at Gateway Mall, replacing State Street Cafe. It is established by the same Fargo-based company who later opens Shades at Kirkwood Mall and Borrowed Bucks Roadhouse.
- Bismarck Junior College becomes Bismarck State College.
- Dan’s renovates and expands Gateway Supervalu
- Front Page Tavern closes – twice
- Town House Motor Inn (now Kelly Inn) foreclosed on (March)
- Eagle Statue dedicated at Custer Park (October 1)
- 30,000-acre Wachter Ranch is foreclosed on
- Denny’s replaces International Inn (originally Village Inn Pancake House) at 405 S 7th Street. Like its Village Inn predecessor, it was the first Denny’s in North Dakota.
- Bismarck and Mandan host Women’s International Bowling Congress Tournament, drawing 44,000 bowlers from around the country
- Centennial Elementary opens
- Veteran’s Memorial Library undergoes major expansion and renovation