- Ground is broken for St. Mary’s Central High School (opens February 1952)
- Will School closes in December, in service since 1905. The building went onto serve as office space until demolished in 1954.
- Construction begins on Cathedral Grade School
- Dakota Theater opens on the northeast corner of 4th and Thayer (October)
- Will-Moore Elementary opens in January adjacent to the former North Ward/William Moore school.
- St. Mary’s Central High School opens (February)
- Widespread flooding seen when Missouri River crested at 27.9 feet. The Flood of 1952 was the worst flood ever in Bismarck, topping the previous record set in March 1881. (April)
- Fleck Motors opens new showroom at Broadway Avenue & 1st Street, replacing old structure destroyed by fire on same site (April)
- Saxvik Elementary opens, named for H.O. Saxvik (closed in 2016).
- President Eisenhower makes a stop on July 11, en route to the Garrison Dam dedication.
- Garrison Dam is enclosed, ending rampant flooding south of the railroad tracks, in turn making the area available for permanent development for the first time.
- Bismarck was the sight one of the most significant recorded UFO sightings, witnessed by at least 45 people and Air Defense System personnel. (August 5)
- KFYR begins testing television broadcasts in December. The station’s first network broadcast was the World Series on September 28, 1956.
- Mandan Oil Refinery is constructed by Standard Oil Company (now Tesoro)
- Arrowhead Shopping Plaza opens as Bismarck’s first shopping center (November)
- Rockstad and Leary open first Dan’s SuperValu at Arrowhead Plaza, supplementing Bismarck Supervalu (November)
- Bismarck’s telephone system converted to the traditional dial system (February)
- KXMB-TV begins broadcasting (November)
- Ressler’s Cafe relocates from 210 N 6th Street to 2219 E Main Avenue.
- Save-Way Superette opens at 223 N 15. It closes in 1982 only to re-open as Stoner’s in 1990. It is sold in 1996 before permanently closing.
- JCPenney relocates to the northwest corner of 5th and Broadway Avenue from 115 N 4th (October). The $565,000 two-story brick building was built by Webb Realty specifically for Penney’s, who signed a 20-year lease. The second floor warehouse is converted into sales space in 1960, when the store also adds Bismarck’s first escalator. A second location at Main & 6th later opens in 1964, before Penney’s relocated to Kirkwood Mall in 1980.
- Bismarck Bowling Center relocates to 305 N 23rd Street and closes in 1983.
- Riverside Elementary opens (closed in 2013)