- Underpass completed at 9th Street and Northern Pacific Railroad
- F.W. Woolworth relocated on September 13 into the former City National Bank building at Main and 4th.
- U.S. Weather Bureau departs Camp Hancock, where it had been housed since 1894. The camp was among Bismarck’s earliest establishments, in 1872, as an infantry post and supply depot.
- Buttrey’s relocates Bismarck store to southwest corner of 4th Street and Broadway Avenue (February)
- Fort Lincoln Internment Camp is established (April); first prisoners arrive on June 2
- Logan’s Grocery closes
- Morton County Courthouse in Mandan is destroyed by fire. The 56-year-old brick building was built in 1885. Initial damage estimates were $50,000. Few loose items were saved, but most of the official records housed in a fireproof safe were salvaged.
- Last detainees leave Fort Lincoln Internment Camp (March 6)
- Webb Building renovation is complete, and Sears occupies building on September 11
- Bismarck Bowling Center is established. It relocates to 305 N 23rd Street in 1956 and closes in 1983.
- Sioux Sporting Goods is established in March. It remains a downtown fixture until 1998.
- Major construction is completed on Main Avenue from Washington Street to 9th Street, and also on 6th Street between Rosser and Main Avenues – both streets in turn widened by 8 feet to allow parking on both sides. A new lighting system was also installed with 264 new lamp posts.
- Traffic signals installed at six intersections, including one at 4th Street & Broadway Avenue; intersections listed included those at 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Streets at Main Avenue; and 4th & 6th Streets at Broadway Avenue. Another location considered was 6th & Avenue C, however this was never done.
- St. Alexius completes a new five-story wing in November.
- Roy Rockstad & Eugene Leary purchase local Piggly Wiggly and rename it Bismarck SuperValu
- Fleck’s Garage is constructed on corner of 3rd Street & Main Avenue (destroyed by fire in 1977)
- A.W. Lucas begins remodeling project, which adds nearly half an acre of additional space.
- KFYR completes a $300,000 renovation of its building, adding the granite and blue-gray porcelain panels still evident today.
- Ressler’s Cafe is established at 210 N 6th Street. The restaurant relocates to 2219 E Main Avenue in 1956. Its former downtown home houses Big Boy/KFC from 1970-1976.
- Dairy Queen opens first Bismarck location, at 230 W Broadway Avenue. Second location to open was along State Street in 1961. Today, there are 4 Dairy Queens in Bismarck.
- The Admiral Hotel opens on the site formerly home to the Lamborn Hotel – the original home of St. Alexius. It was the first new hotel built since 1917.