Q&R Clinic / Bismarck Hospital / Medcenter One / Sandford Health
Established in 1902, Q&R Clinic is the nation’s second-oldest surviving clinic (behind Mayo Clinic).
Doctors Quain & Ramstad founded the clinic. The clinic was housed on the second floor of downtown bank until relocating to 221 N 5th in 1927. That building was expanded several times, in 1953, 1966, and 1973.
In 1983, Q&R Clinic and the affiliated Bismarck Hospital completed an $11.9-million expansion on South 7th Street that included a 6-story tower and closed a block of Thayer Avenue. The former Q&R building at 221 N 5th Street then became the newly combined City/County Building, which remains today.
Bismarck Evangelical Hospital was founded in 1907, and became the first hospital in western North Dakota to have an x-ray machine. The name changed to Bismarck Hospital in 1955, and then again to Medcenter One in 1984. Sanford Health merged with Medcenter One in 2012.