Despite still being known by the “Patterson” name, the original “The McKenzie” nameplates are visible on the building’s exterior.
Opened New Year’s Day, 1911 as the McKenzie Hotel and renamed Patterson in 1927, the building is well-known for its continued construction that lasted nearly 30 years, ultimately growing from its initial 7 stories to 10 stories. The Patterson Hotel was also known for its political connections, serving as headquarters for the Nonpartisan League.
The Patterson Hotel secretly served alcohol during prohibition, and had even installed an electronic alarm system to keep out “unwanted guests”. It was also host to illegal gambling, and rumored to house prostitutes. Rumors also exist that an underground tunnel once connected the hotel with the train depot located across the street.
The hotel closed in the mid 1970s, and the aging building was condemned in 1980, at which time it underwent major renovation. Today, the former hotel rooms now house Patterson Place Senior Apartments and the lobby houses Peacock Alley Bar & Grill.
Learn more about the Patterson/McKenzie Hotel here:
Downtown Bismarck is a registered historic district that held strong importance to the initial growth and success of the Bismarck area. Bismarck’s downtown is roughly located between Washington Street & 7th Street; and Rosser Avenue and Main Avenue.
Learn more about Downtown Bismarck here:
Pacific Sound, Precision Eyes, and One Source Lighting
Pinehurst Square is a “power mall” located in northwest Bismarck with several big box...
McDonald’s Rock-N-Roll Cafe
McRock N’ Roll Cafe was a Rock N’ Roll themed McDonalds restaurant located on the...
GALLERYJob Service Office Building on Divide...
Located on Divide Avenue, this is one of two main offices housing North Dakota...
Gateway Fashion Mall in November 2015
Featuring Jo-Anne Fabric, Shogunn, and Rock’N 50’s Cafe. Opened in September 1979 with original...