L.J. Anderson Building / International Harvester Company
The International Harvester Company was a national manufacturing company, specializing in agricultural machinery and construction equipment. The company was based in Chicago and maintained a branch in Bismarck for many years.
International Harvester Company was formed when J.P. Morgan purchased McCormick Harvesting Machine Company, Deering Harvester Company, and three smaller companies in 1902 and reorganized them under the same banner. International Harvester sold its Agriculture business in 1985 and soon after changed its name to Navistar International Corporation.
International Harvester had constructed its local warehouse in 1911 on the corner of Main Avenue and Mandan Street. International Harvester vacated the warehouse in the late 1930s and the building, now known as the L.J. Anderson Building, currently houses apartments and several businesses. For many years, it was home to Dave’s Hobbies and Boyd’s Ark Pet Store.
The company’s showroom, which operated as the IH McCormick Store, was located on the corner of Broadway Avenue and Mandan Street and recently became a showroom for One Source Lighting. Prior to that, the building was home to an automotive supply store.