John K. Wetherby was an early pioneer, lawyer, and real estate investor.
Wetherby was the son of a Wisconsin judge. He relocated to Bismarck in 1878, when he partnered with George Flannery.
Along with partner Flannery, Wetherby acquired a significant fortune during Bismarck’s 1883 real estate boom, which was a direct result of its new prestige as capital of Dakota Territory. A November 2, 1883 Bismarck Tribune article states that Wetherby had divested nearly $100,000 worth of property within just the ten days prior.
In or around 1885, Wetherby left Bismarck only to return, briefly, in 1887. By 1889, Wetherby had relocated to Hudson, Wisconsin and, in 1890, Wetherby had partnered with a man named Kyser in a boot and shoe business in Pasadeva, California. He continued to hold local investments.
Bismarck’s Flannery and Wetherby Addition was also named for him and his former law partner John Wetherby.