Hughes Middle School / Hughes Education Center
Hughes Middle School, formerly Hughes Junior High, was constructed in 1958 and opened in 1959 to alleviate overcrowding at the city’s only junior high, which had been constructed in 1912 to originally house Bismarck High School. Hughes was replaced in 2001 by Horizon Middle School.
Today, the building is known as the Hughes Education Center and now houses school district offices, along with South Central High School and the Adult Learning Center.
Hughes is named for former local businessman Edmond Hughes, who donated the land for the school.