Arrowhead Plaza Shopping Center
Arrowhead Plaza is a neighborhood strip mall located at 3rd Street and Boulevard Avenue. Arrowhead was Bismarck’s first shopping center and, by some counts, the first in North Dakota. Arrowhead Plaza opened in 1953 and saw a major expansion in 1960. It contains the first “Dan’s” Supervalu, which serves at its primary anchor.
Despite its smaller footprint and relatively low-traffic location at the heart of a residential neighborhood, Arrowhead has seen limited tenant turnover throughout the years, maintaining a strong presence as a major shopping destination.
Arrowhead Plaza was developed by T. Clem Casey and officially opened on November 11, 1953. The first “Dan’s” Supervalu was an original tenant, but at a different location than it is currently located… in the space that housed Ben Franklin from 1974-2007.
In 1960, Arrowhead roughly doubled in size by expanding northward to its present 60,000-square-foot footprint. The expansion brought with it a relocated and significantly larger Dan’s Supermarket store, where it remains today.
Since its 1960 expansion, the neighborhood shopping center has seen little change, other than exterior facelifts in 1981 and 2011.
Current Tenants (as of 2017)
- Dan’s Supermarket
- Plaza Beer Depot
- Arrowhead Plaza Drug/Hallmark
- Uniform Center
- Roots Boutique
- The Walrus
- Arrowhead Cleaners
- U.S. Bank
Notable Past Tenants
- Ben Franklin was one of the mall’s longest tenants. The Bismarck franchise opened in 1974 as one of the company’s variety stores before transitioning into a craft store. The store was located in the original Dan’s location at the mall, just to the north of present-day Plaza Drug.
- Gizzmoz was a local pizzeria, video rental, and party favor store at Arrowhead Plaza. The business, which operated from 1992-1995, was owned and operated by Tim Pudwill, who also owned Plaza Beer Depot. Today, this space houses The Walrus.
- Scheels opened a sporting goods and hardware store in 1973. A second Scheels – the company’s first “All Sports” – opened at Kirkwood Mall in 1984, but continued operating at Arrowhead until selling the store in 1988. The space later became home to Advantage Appliance before returning to a hardware store (as Mustang Hardware). The space was vacant as of 2017.
- Plaza Barbershop operated from 1955-2014.
- Arrowhead Tesoro was the last surviving full-service gas station when it closed in 2015. It opened in 1956.