Dan’s Supermarket is a chain of grocery stores in Bismarck-Mandan that was founded in 1949. At its height, Dan’s owned and operated a total of 11 locations across North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. Today, the chain has consolidated operations to focus on its local roots.
Interestingly, Dan’s is not named for a real person. Instead, the name stems from an early marketing gimmick featuring a cartoon character named “Super Dan the Valu Man.”
After nearly seven decades of local ownership, SpartanNash acquired Dan’s Supermarket in 2015, ending a long-time relationship with distributor Supervalu.
The original Dan’s at Arrowhead Plaza closed in 2018 after more than sixty years.
GALLERYNorth Dakota State Capitol &...
Featuring pictures of the North Dakota State Capitol, Liberty Memorial Building, and surrounding grounds.
Kmart was Bismarck’s second modern-day discount department store when it opened in October 1971...
Shiloh Christian School
Shiloh Christian School is a private school located in northeastern Bismarck, North Dakota near...
Hillside Park Pool Renovation Scene
Construction scene for a $3.5-million renovation of the pool at Hillside Park, which is...
GALLERYCuster Park/Eagle Statue
Custer Park, located just west of downtown Bismarck, was Bismarck’s first municipal park when...