Scheels Sporting Goods relocated into the former Target space in 2006. Scheels was first located at Arrowhead Plaza, and moved into Kirkwood Mall in 1984. The Bismarck location was the first store in the chain solely dedicated to sporting goods.
Over the years, Scheels expanded into additional spaces within the mall, including the former McDonald’s location in 2003. Scheels relocated into the former Target space in 2007, but maintains its bicycle department out of the former McDonalds space, adjacent to their main location.
Kirkwood Mall drastically changed Bismarck’s retail landscape when Paul Wachter opened it in April 1971 with original anchors Woolworths, Montgomery Wards, and Herbergers. It underwent a major addition in 1980 with two new anchors, Target and JCPenney.
This building housed Cowan Drug for many years with the Cowan Family living upstairs. The...
Missouri River Sunset Scene
A beautiful sunset scene of the Missouri River in Bismarck, North Dakota. Smoke in...
Capitol Lanes Plaza
Built in 1982 to primarily house Capitol Lanes, this building has housed offices for...
Pinehurst Square is a “power mall” located in northwest Bismarck with several big box...
Mason / Hughes Apartment Building
Built in 1922 by Edmond Hughes, and designed by his business partner Arthur Van...